Thursday, March 6, 2014

3/6/14 Prompt: If I had a million dollars

Today's prompt is a little bit unique as most of my posts have been story focused but I also like things that are brainstorm focused. In fact, I adore those things.

So today, we're looking into what would happen if you were suddenly given a million dollars. There are rules for this one.

1. You have to immediately spend, invest, or save. Think of this as a budget for a million.
2. You are not allowed to put into a savings account more than half of it. That means you need to delegate at least half a million dollars to other things.
3. You cannot invest in the stock market more than 300,000 dollars either. This means your total delegated to other things has to be at least 200,000. But try for bigger.

Those are your rules. 

Here's my plan:
So, firstly I'd buy laptops. For me and at least two others. Then amazing software based on the interests of people. Like mine would be for my business. Next, video camera and lighting equipment for shooting videos. Also, digital camera.

After that, I'd delegate a good chunk of money to other business affairs. Like freelancers and marketing. That way I could grow my business and not have to rely on this random piece of money for the rest of my life.

I would not buy a house or car because I don't want to drive and I don't have recurring income yet. 

I would, however, buy a very nice bike and a monthly bus pass.  I need transportation somehow, right? I would set aside a good twelve months of bus fare. And a hundred or two a month for gas money for people nice enough to give me rides.

Speaking of nice people, I would give each one of my close friends something that would make them the happiest. And at least one thing to help them grow their own career.

I would spend a good deal of money, nearly 50,000, settling family affairs and starting people off on the right foot.

I would pay off my loans and all my other debt, the total is about 3-5,000 right now... 

I would then get a good phone and data plan from AT&T. I would also upgrade my broken screened tablet. 

I would invest a lot of money in the stock market and I'm pretty sure I'd save a lot. Including some saved for the taxes on this random million I got. 

A good deal of the rest of the money would be budgeted on food and entertainment, since we already got business covered at the top.

And one more thing, I would tell as few people as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment