Monday, February 24, 2014

2/24/14 Prompt: The Mile Run

Today's Prompt is "The Mile Run"
Obviously open to interpretation, but, here is the gist of it for you.

The schools I went to always had the test of the mile run for the Phy. Ed. classes. It was either indoors or outdoors. Outside there was a track. In elementary school it was a little gravel track. You had to go around it I think three or four times to equal a mile. In upper classes, it was no longer gravel. In fact, I have no clue what that track substance is. Kind of spongy stuff. 
The indoor mile run was like 7 to 8 times around some arbitrary seeming squared off hallway area.

Anyways, so it's basically running. For a mile. Or jogging or walking. If you took like 15 minutes or longer you'd "fail" and just get a 15+ mark. It varied.

Here's my piece for the day:

I wandered outside with my class to the track that lay before us. It was brown and dust swirled around us with the wind, even though it had rained last night.
The teacher told us where to stand and we huddled there, waiting for her to say go. Some people were lined up front, some towards the back. I was in the middle, as usual.
The teacher blew her whistle and we took off. I quickly caught up with some of the people in the front and smiled at them, but soon I was unable to keep up. I started jogging and breathing hard by the end of the first lap. I had two more to go and I was not ready.
I kept lagging further and further behind other people. Not because my legs were tired, no, but because it became harder and harder to breath.
As I finished the second lap my side started aching. I held it and began speed walking.
Somehow I was still ahead of a handful of people.
All I had to do was finish this lap, and then I could drink water and rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment