Thursday, February 27, 2014

2/27/14 Prompt... Up the Staircase

Today's prompt is "Up the Staircase."

As always, the prompt is open to interpretation, though for this my main idea in posting it has to do with not really the journey up the stairs but more speculation about what is up the stairs.

If you want to, try to answer these questions:
1. Who or what is up the stairs?
2. What is a good description of the stairs?
3. Are the stairs figurative or literal?
4. What's stopping you (or your OC) from climbing up the stairs?
5. Do you climb up the staircase?
6. If "you" do climb up, what do you find?

Here's my piece for the day, also found on my deviantart:

The staircase was wide at the bottom, but bottle necked up at the last few stairs I could see. The wall caved in, it was scary to me. Only one person, of moderate smallness, could fit into the tiny space that was almost as short as a crawl place.

I often sat at the bottom of the stairs. Almost twenty years of never knowing what was above. I preferred the staircase to the side. I'd been up those stairs many times. I was surrounded by stairways like that, here in this long hallway.

Instead of a hallway of doors, it was a hallway of stairs. Some were narrow, some were wide. Some were steep, but some were very easy to climb up.

I had been climbing my whole life it seemed. From my very infancy.

The first steps I climbed were the steps of learning, the next flight was the steps of my yearning. Yearning for someone, yearning for people, but then a yearning for success. It brought me to this hallway. I had just finished the staircase that completed my education and had found another similar staircase beyond.

I tried to take it, because it was familiar. Then I remembered all the times I had tripped and fallen on it and decided I needed to try something new.

Climbing down the staircases had gotten so easy for me.

The staircases I could climb up from unemployed to employee, the staircase I could climb from there to supervisor.

Yes, I had seen many staircases. Some were appealing and some were not. But right in front of me was a staircase that disgusted me not. For all it's scary features, it made me excited when I saw it. This rickety at times but ornate in others piece of staircase was like no other staircase in the entire hallway. The best part was, it was always there.

No matter what hallway I ended up in a similar staircase appeared. Taunting my curiosity with its features.

It was 27 days ago today I took the first step on the staircase. Volition.

Within the last few weeks I has made it up 4 very steep and rickety steps. But they were wide and gave me room to sit down and rest. I enjoyed climbing them. Determination.

I knew what this staircase was. This was the staircase of entrepreneurship. This was a staircase that led to so many opportunities. As soon as you took that first step, you knew what was in front of you. A feeling of respect for the others before you falls onto you, making every step harder.

"How dare I climb this staircase?" I think to myself on each step. "Who am I to wander on the stairs of my great successors?" But the voices above me drive me forward. I can hear them shouting and laughing. And everyday I hear a voice that calls down the stairs. "You can do it!" I hear them say. "Come join us! It's so great up here!"

I wonder how they can see me, how they know I'm here. I cannot see above the bottleneck, even after the first steps. Although I can begin to see a light shining through. I wonder if there is another hallway of staircases above me. Or maybe, for once, there will be doors. No place to climb, but things to choose.

I will continue to climb. I will find out what is above me. And then one day I'll be the voice that calls down to tell someone they are welcome here and that they can make it too.

Much love to you all,
Alexandria
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/AlexandriaMazareth
Twitter: http://twitter.com/AlexandriaMWolf
Personal Blog: http://ajourneyforalexandria.blogspot.com/
Professional Blog: http://alexandriamazareth.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment